Monday, November 8, 2010

Valley of Elah, War and other thoughts

I saw the Valley of Elah last evening and it still sticks with me today.  I read the blogs and reviews.  Wow!  I am really behind.  This movie came out in 2007!  Some think that it is pro-Muslim… I did not see that at all in this movie, rather anti-Iraqi war.  What I saw was our young warriors turned into sociopaths by this war and I think that is the message the movie was trying to convey. 
Is this the way of the world today?  In the last few years, I have seen many sociopaths in the news that killed and just went on their merry way, eventually getting caught. 
To me, it did not seem that our World War II generation came home as messed up in the head as the soldiers are now.  I know “the greatest generation” did not want to talk about their war experiences, but they came home character intact, raised families, worked and became productive members of society.  The Vietnam era created many drug addicts.  To escape the atrocities of war, they just got hooked on drugs to numb their minds, but most eventually became productive members of society. 
Today we are fighting wars in a different way and have more advanced technology.  I don’t think people have changed, though, just technology.  Maybe these horrible things happened after WWII and we just did not hear about it.  Maybe some people are just capable of stabbing a buddy, chopping them up, setting them on fire and going out to eat because they were “starving” using the dead buddy’s credit card!  Unbelievable!!!!
I don’t like war.  I don’t like the Iraq/Afghanistan war, but I don’t think we should lie down and roll over doing nothing if we are attacked on American soil … or anywhere else Americans are attacked.
I think the problem with this particular war is this… who IS the enemy?  Al Qaeda?  All Muslims?  … And where are they?  Where are the enemies who plotted and executed the plan to fly into the World Trade Center?  They hate us.  They hate our way of life.  What we will never understand is WHY?  One answer is because we support and recognize Israel.  That is one conflict that will never be resolved.
Ah, but was it the Iraqis?  I believe that there is that element in Iraq.  They are better off without Saddam Hussein who terrorized and murdered his own people, but did the group who plotted and planned our demise come from Iraq?  Were there weapons of mass destruction in Iraq?  I think maybe yes and no.  Maybe the terrorists had been there sometime and left and maybe the WOMD were there but are hidden somewhere else in another country… waiting for the day.
So what do we do?
I am for bringing our troops home, rehabilitating them, keeping them in the armed forces and waiting for another day when we can identify the enemy.  All the while, training for the day the enemy is near.  America should warn our enemies… keep your distance unless you are prepared to do real battle.  Until then, we should say that we are protecting ourselves and our American citizens.  We should say that we are no longer the police for the rest of the world.  We should say if you helped us in the past and ask nicely, we will help you; otherwise, you are on your own.  We should say if you need money from us… sorry, we are in deficit; you are on your own.  We should say, go ask someone else to help you because we are saving and using our own resources for ourselves and planning for the day that the enemy comes against us again.
Oh this all sounds radical and I am not really suggesting that this will work in reality, just my little rant for the day.
I am just relieved that it is not up to me to make these difficult decisions.  Maybe I seem naïve.  But I do vote for those who should make these decisions! 
I agree with the last scene in the movie.  We should fly the American flag upside down because we are in distress!    

No comments:

Post a Comment