Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Creative Visions... or Etsy here I come!


I received what I wanted for my birthday, a beginner sewing machine that embroiders.  I used to sew on an old Singer of my mother’s.  Then for years it just sat in the bedroom, idle.  So one day I thought I would be creative and make something, but the sewing machine did not work.
We took it to a store that sells and repairs machines and looked around at the new machines.  The owner sat us down to a machine that sews and embroiders and was $2700!  Wow!  So I fell in love with that machine and still really want it.
Later we found out that my mother’s machine could not be repaired because the part that holds the bobbin was broken and they don’t make the part any more.  Also we found out that Singer is not the same company it used to be and therefore not as quality as it used to be.
So for a year now I have had visions of creative projects that I could produce and possibly sell on Etsy… mentioning several times to my darling husband that I want a sewing machine.
I picked out several that we could afford, knowing that I will have to re-learn how to sew on these new computerized machines.
Well my creative visions will have to wait a while.  I work, am politically involved and have a very busy life.
I got all the pieces and parts out, watched the CD instructions, read parts of the manual, and tried to wind the bobbin.  First, the thread wound underneath the part that holds the bobbin… not good!  It took me a while to fix that and get all the thread out.  Next, it wound but then I discovered that a portion had also wound underneath, so I had to unwind the bobbin and underneath the bobbin winder.  Third time is the charm, right?  Well, yes , this time it was.  I finally successfully wound the bobbin.
Next I tried a couple of stitches on a very old project that I will never finish.  Then it dawned on me, yes, I have a lot to learn.  I have not even tried the embroidery part.  You have to wind a bobbin for each color and change thread for however many colors the project has…
The machine really does a lot for a little beginner machine.  It is computerized and you can download a design off a computer to the machine.  It’s not my mother’s Singer!
Etsy, here I come… maybe in a year or two? 

No comments:

Post a Comment