Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Top 40 Classic Rock Favorites


Here are my “Top 40” favorites.  This was the hardest thing I have ever tried, that is, to narrow this list down to 40, almost exhausting!  All right, I cheated!  On Elton John, The Beatles and Rolling Stones, Supertramp, Traffic and others, I have more than one pick.  My mind is still producing artists and songs that I love, such as, Jethro Tull, Locomotive Breath.  This list is mostly 60’s and 70’s music, except for U2, which is 80’s.

An abundance of controversy surrounds which is the “Best” of the best among my friends and on the internet.  I suppose it is an emotional choice, based on the feelings that the songs produce and the memories they bring.  Some might go by the amount of sales, but to me that is not the point.

The fact is that there is simply an enormous amount of great classic rock songs.  I love almost all of the Eagles and Fleetwood Mac songs.  I dare not forget to mention Pink Floyd, Steve Miller Band, Buddy Holly, The Mamas and the Papas, Robert Palmer, Aerosmith, The Guess Who, Rod Stewart, The Grateful Dead, Neil Young, Van Morrison, Stevie Wonder, Joe Walsh, Don Henley, Styx, David Bowie, The Clash, The Pretenders, Yes, Lovin’ Spoonful, Cat Stevens, Tommy James and the Shondells, Bee Gees, John Denver, Neil Diamond, Nilsson, Leon Russell… and so many more.  I could go on forever.  You might agree to why it is so hard to pick.  I cannot even express my thoughts on the late, great Duane Allman!  He was such an immense talent and in my opinion the best guitarist who ever lived.  However, we could have a rousing conversation about Jimi Hendrix and Eric Clapton compared to Duane Allman.

It is distressing that some of those who were the greats flamed out too soon, Janis Joplin, Jimi Hendrix, Jim Morrison, Gram Parsons.  They were casualties of the hippie culture or perhaps casualties of their own demons.  Then there are those talents who really did not burn themselves out by drugs and drinking (though I cannot speak for the fact that they did or did not try drugs, for a fact, some did!), they just died too young, Buddy Holly, Duane Allman, John Lennon, George Harrison, Bob Marley and Otis Redding, to name a few.

I still listen to these classics and still think it is the best music ever!  Some may consider this music to be relics of a bygone era.  Not me!  I know people younger than myself who listen to this music.  I simply consider them to have good taste, although they may have missed the opportunity to live through this musical renaissance. Perhaps their parents introduced them to the music.

Occasionally, I will wander off into a country music phase, but always come back to the classic rock.  Is it because that era was the best time of my life?  Maybe, but I just think it’s the music!  I am still having the best time of my life, although without the accessories… (I will let you figure that one out!)

So here I go with the list.
  1. Stairway to Heaven - Led Zeppelin
  2. House of the Rising Sun - Animals
  3. Born to be Wild - Steppenwolf
  4. Good Vibrations - Beach Boys
  5. Bad Moon Rising - Creedence Clearwater Revival
  6. Like a Rolling Stone - Bob Dylan
  7. You Really Got Me - Kinks
  8. Nights in White Satin, Question - Moody Blues
  9. Somebody to Love - Jefferson Airplane
  10. White Room - Cream
  11. Time of the Season - Zombies
  12. Dust in the Wind - Kansas
  13. Feelin' Allright, Low Spark of the High Heeled Boys - Traffic
  14. For What It's Worth - Buffalo Springfield
  15. Daniel, Levon, Rocket Man - Elton John
  16. Bohemian Rhapsody - Queen
  17. Layla - Derek and the Dominoes
  18. Piece of My Heart - Janis Joplin and Big Brother and the Holding Co
  19. All Along the Watchtower - Jimi Hendrix (by Dylan)
  20. Take it to the Limit - Eagles
  21. Suite Judy Blue Eyes - Crosby, Stills and Nash
  22. Black Magic Woman - Santana
  23. Roxanne - The Police
  24. Smoke on the Water - Deep Purple
  25. Baba O'Reilly - The Who
  26. Respect - Aretha Franklin
  27. Hey Jude, We Can Work it Out - Beatles
  28. Riders on the Storm - The Doors
  29. Free Bird - Lynrd Skynrd
  30. Be My Baby - The Ronettes
  31. Born to Run - Bruce Springsteen
  32. Imagine - John Lennon
  33. With or Without You - U2
  34. More Than a Feeling - Boston
  35. Go Your Own Way - Fleetwood Mac
  36. Sharp Dressed Man - ZZ Top
  37. Breakdown - Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
  38. You Can't Always Get What You Want - Rolling Stones
  39. Magic Man - Heart
  40. Take the Long Way Home, Logical Song - Supertramp
What songs are your favorites? 

Next we will get into Concert lists!

Still leaving off the list... Electric Light Orchestra, Ike and Tina Turner, Earth Wind & Fire, Grand Funk Railroad, Foreigner, Kiss ….

No comments:

Post a Comment